Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chocolate Cheesecake




So, on Tuesday night after work, I wanted to stop at Stater Bros. to get some items for a welcome home basket for Jen... well, one thing led to another, and my eyes were drawn to Cooking With Paula Deen: 5th Anniversary Keepsake Issue - 157 All Time Favorite Recipes & Tips magazine. Wow. It was a cookbook - not a magazine... thoughts ran through my head were: well $9.99 is kind of an expensive for a magazine... well, it's actually a cookbook... well, what recipes are in here?... OMG, what a deal... ooo, I could make this dessert for Jen... I have to buy this! Did you see how I convinced myself to buy it? :-)
So anyways, you all know I am a huge Paula Deen fan, and next on my cooking agenda is to make her Red Velvet Cupcakes... apparently, they are amazing, and recently 2 friends (on separate occasions) have told me about them!

Chocolate Cheesecakes For Two (makes two 4-inch chessecakes)
(I only had 1 4-inch cheesecake pan, so I decided to double the recipe, that is below, and instead, I made 1 medium size cheesecake.)

I have to work on perfecting my crusts :(
Crust:
1/2 c. chocolate graham cracker crumbs (or oreos)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Filling:
2 (1oz.) squares of bittersweet chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter
12 oz. cream cheese
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. Dutch process cocoa
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 c. sour cream
getting there!
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 (1oz.) squares semisweet chocolate
2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Garnish: fresh whipped cream, shaved chocolate, fresh raspberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degress F.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs & sugar; add melted butter; stir well. Press mixture to bottom and sides of pan(s). Bake for 6 minutes.
I added a little turtle chocolate topping just for the pretty factor :)
3. In a small microwaveable bowl, combine bittersweet choc and butter. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth; set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg and egg yolk just until combined. Stir in melted choc mixture, sour ceam, and vanilla. Pour into prepared crust(s). Bake for 40 minutes (for 2 small pans), 55 minutes (for 1 medium pan). Cool in pans on a wire rack for 2 hrs. Loosely cover with foil and chill for 4 hrs.
WELCOME HOME, JEN!!
5. Gently run a knife around edges of pan(s) to release sides from pan.
6. In a sm. microwaveable bowl, combine semisweet choc and heavy whipping cream. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth; set aside to cool slightly. Spread over (each) cheesecake. Garnish with whipped cream, shaved choc, and berries, if desired. Store, covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment